The reviewers for Kolibri base their evaluations on their own experiences and their own cultural perspective. To appraise publications on the basis of the above-mentioned criteria, they may consult a list of questions. These can assist them to resolve uncertainties and to reflect on their own point of view.
- Which are the main characters?
- Characters of minority group: which role do they play?
- What do people have to do in order to get recognition?
- How are different cultures shown (e.g. languages, religions, forms of life)?
- How is the relationship between ethnics shown (or between native people and migrants)?
- Is there a hierarchy between social classes or men and women (boys and girls)?
Different forms of life
- Which forms of life and which social values can be found in the book?
- How sublte is the insight into a certain form of life (geographicel, social)?
- How does the book help to learn about values other than my own?
- Are members of (different) social groups recognized in their identity?
- How are problems and conflicts solved (independently, mutually, hierarchically?
All the questions above are important for illustrations as well.
- Do the pictures connect with the cultures described in the text?
- Is there a connection between the story and the images?
- What is the relation between members of different social groups, ethnics, class etc.? (Size, position on the page, colours)
Language and Style
- How is language used (phrase, structure of the text)?
- Which vocabulary is used?Does it match the characters described?
- Moral message: is it accessible and relevant for children?
Cultural diversity in children's books –
Edited by Baobab Books
27th edition, Basel, 2020
88 pages, paperback