Mission and Goals
Baobab Books is a registered charitable association. We are committed to promoting cultural diversity in children and youth literature. We stand up for an open and pluralistic society, whereby we refer to the right for equal treatment as stated in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.
Through our activities in promoting reading skills and our dedication to the dialogue between cultures, we work towards a society where children have the possibility to root socially, to be heard, to participate in a community without disadvantages and to develop future prospects – no matter where they come from, no matter their social class, ethnic or cultural belonging.
Through our activities and publications we
- promote diversity in children's literature
- support cultural participation throughout society
- build bridges between different fields and communities.
- We promote children's and youth literature that imparts diverse experiences, equality of values, and respect.
- We aim to enable and deepen dialogue between people of different backgrounds and communities
- We promote the analysis and debate about aesthetic quality in book for children and young readers.
- We act and economize in accordance with the principles of fair trade and of environment-friendly production. To reduce Baobab's carbon footprint we support various climate protection projects around the world whenever possible. Learn more about our carbon offset here.